Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Recovering from retreating

Isn't it always the case that you need a vacation to recover from your vacation? I got back last night from my retreat in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. I had a wonderful time with a fabulous group of women who are incredibly kind to include me (a California girl, complete with flip flops in winter!).  It snowed all day on Friday and I was out walking along the lake early Saturday. Isn't this gorgeous?




One of the projects that was organized (and optional) was to make mittens using felted wool sweaters.  I had a great time even though I'm probably not going to get much use out of them in California. Maybe Oregon, though.




We had show 'n tell on Saturday night and I'm going to post pictures each day. Here is Debbie Dodge (behind) showing her Dipped in Chocolate quilt which consists of tiny 4-patches which finish at 1.5"!! Aren't they fabulous?




I have a Farmer's Wife quilt to show you also which was done by Pat's sister, Rose. It's gorgeous and very inspiring. That's for tomorrow or Wednesday, though, along with some other fabulous tops!


Our Sow-A-Long gets started on February 1st.  I'm thinking we will shoot for 6 blocks a month; I'll post them twice a month. You can sow along or not, entirely up to you, or even at your own speed.  So start to think about your fabrics. The blocks finish at 6". So you won't be needing a whole lot of fabric.


Have a great Tuesday!!

8 comments:

  1. Those mittens are just so great. Wish I had some.
    That quilt is just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt! Isn't it cool how the simplest pattern can make such a treasure?
    Six blocks a month, huh? Well, I will give it a try, but I have never even kept up with one-a-week blocks before. : )
    I have ordered my book, and have chosen my fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mitten pic! Looks like a fun group! And that quilt is wonderful! I love it! And I have a gazillion 4 patches from my Leaders/Enders bin that I need to do something with! Yay! Thanks for the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the mittens too! Retreats are the best and it looks as though you had a great time with your friends.

    I am attending one the first of Feburary at the Grout Museum, Waterloo, Iowa ...Kathleen Tracy will be our teacher... so excited and looking forward to it!

    Beautiful quilt, what a treasure!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. What sweet mittens! You cold store them at Sunriver in case any visitors leave theirs at home:)

    That wee 4 patch is awesome! That may be a someday quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm doing a small group locally and we are making 10-11 blocks per month and will have our quilts done maybe by November this year. I'm good the first month, we will see how I keep up! I can't wait to see a finished Farmer's Wife Quilt tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could use your mittens as a Christmas decoration. Hang on the tree, or a mantle, or on the door handle.

    Lucy~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a blog can I still do the sow along?

    ReplyDelete