Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Bouquets to Arts - feast for the senses!

San Francisco is home to, among other wonderful things, the De Young Museum in Golden Gate Park.  Once a year they hold a very unusual 4 day exhibit.  They "assign" a piece of art from the museum to a floral designer to replicate/interpret that piece through flowers.  I always find it absolutely amazing to see what these people, who are artists in their own way, create.  I snapped a few pictures I thought you'd enjoy. The colors are spectacular.  The variety of materials they utilized is staggering.


I have tried to include the painting behind the floral display so you can get an idea of what they were "copying":


My favorite was the display of the silver tea set...and what was created:




Here is the original inspiration, the silver tea set.


The interpretation is below: they are cakes and cupcakes out of flowers etc. I think this was my favorite!

Don't they look good enough to eat? And they are entirely made of flowers, leaves etc!

This was in a chair section of the museum.  I thought the pinks were luscious!


The colors of these are amazing.  In the back is a glass "sculpture", which I think looks like a shell with orange inside.  The artist used some kind of elaborate leaves (perhaps spray painted blue) along with some gorgeous orange and yellow flowers.  I don't know if you are able to see the details of the flowers but the variety of flowers is amazing.
I hope you enjoyed these.  I have many more which I may post later this weekend.


GIVEAWAY:
I have not forgotten.  The winner of dresden plate ruler is:
Missy!!!
Please email me with your snail mail address. Thanks to everyone who "entered".  There's more where that came from, believe me!!! Keep watching.

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend. It's been raining for 5 days in Northern California and my backyard is a lake! I have those oversized rubber boots which are perfect for this weather. Taking the dogs out is a challenge!

Love to you all,
Randy, Chief Sower

7 comments:

  1. Very cool interpretations, Randy. What a fun idea!
    "Chief Sower"--I love it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool. Those flowers are amazing. Thanks for sharing. I think my favorite is the blue shell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lovely exhibit!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks incredible, what an interesting idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats to Missy!
    what a great exhibit, I love that chair!
    kathie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Send us the rain in SD. It is so dry here.

    ReplyDelete