Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Easy 25-patch block

My first project for 2015 is going to be this 25-patch block quilt. I'm making it 9x10 so it'll fit my king bed.

You start with strips that are 2-1/2" wide. A jelly roll is perfect.  Pair a light and dark (anything with some contrast works) right sides together. I cut 2 strip sets that are 16-1/2" long; I also cut one 2-1/2" square from the dark.
With right aides together sew each of these pairs together. Then sew these two sets together, alternating light/dark. You will have one strip set with 4 strips

Press to the dark strips:

Your strip set should measure 8-1/2"

You will now sub-cut this set into 2-1/2" strips. You'll cut 6 of them:

Rearrange alternating the light / dark in the left corner. You're going to sew 5 of these together 

Sew the extra 2-1/2" dark square to the end of the 6th strip set.

You can now sew the 6th strip set to the others already sewn together making sure your order is light-dark throughout.

If you are careful, you can nest the seams. 

Your block should measure 10-1/2" unf 

Note the placement of the dark/light squares.

I'll post the picture of the finished product in the next two days, after I get back to California   

Happy New Year!! Here's to a very healthy and productive 2015!

6 comments:

  1. Oh this looks really nice- thanks for the tutorial-love that gray! Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I love the French General blues you are using. This will be a great quilt. I just made some blocks; but mine were 16 and not 25 since I wanted a twin size. I am looking forward to see your finished top. Happy 2015 to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your fabrics !! (I know, I've already said that !!)...
    Happy new year Randy, for you and your family.
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making 25 patch blocks. They go together very nicely and have lots of visual interest without too much difficulty. Can't wait to see what you are creating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the excellent tutorial for the 25 patch block. I really like the fabrics you are using! This is going to be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't strip piece mine. I cut them one at a time.

    ReplyDelete